Letter from Dave Halligan, Director ot Parenting for Men, New Zealand
Nov 30 Hillary's thank you video
Nov 28 Hillary's reaction to her father lying about her in court
I just learned about this. When she was 16, Hillary Adams hid a video recorder in her room. One day she taped her parents beating her with a belt. The video has now gone "viral." With several million views. I have made my own copy and will be commenting on it more probably. But now that you know about it, if you hadn't heard before, you can start to read up on it.
It says a lot about America and American values. Dysfunctional American values
This video uses a widget called LinkedTube 'Video Links
As I wrote on the video description, it is not just the physical abuse. The things the parents say are typical of emotionally abusive parents.
- Telling her that she doesn't deserve to live with them.
- Telling her she "caused it." This is a clear role reversal. It is like saying the daughter is responsible for the parent's feelings and lack of self-control.
- Forcing her to answer questions. Notice how she says "yes, sir" and "no sir." There is little doubt that her parents don't understand the difference between respect, fear and obedience. They would probably say she was acting disrespectful, but they haven't in any way earned her respect
- Using sarcasm. Saying "Are you happy now?" "Is it fun to disobey your mom and dad?"
- Telling her she used to be a good girl and used to be obedient. This is a form of guilt-tripping, trying to make her feel guilty for not being obedient anymore.
- Even focusing so much on and making such a huge deal out of obedience is abusive in itself. Her parents don't deserve her obedience. They have emotional and psychological problems and they are passing them on to her.
I feel sorry for her and the thousands of physically and emotionally abused children and teenagers. Maybe as more videos and more documentation of this kind of abuse surfaces, more people will take action to change the laws.
Here is our book about emotionally abused teenagers: Letters from the Unloved
Help him vs hurt him? Reader comments
Hillary is pretty pissed off at her father.. Today she called him a "psychpathic sack of filth" lol
It is encouraging to see her strong feelings
|Comments from Teens
from Dave Halligan, Director of Parenting for Men in New